I walk a lot. I walk to work, to get groceries, to go to the bank, to the laundry, to get some exercise… pretty much every day, multiple times a day, I walk.
People who see me tend to mention the same thing over and over again: my smile.
Apparently, I am supposed to put on a screwface while I’m strolling around, and the fact that I don’t* is a real surprise to folks. Seriously people I am meeting for the first time will bring this up to me.
Anyway, here are some of the things that have made me smile on recent walks:
1. It’s a beautiful day.
2. The breeze feels nice.
3. I just remembered something funny my sister sent me in a text.
4. I am listening to a song that makes me happy.
5. I am listening to a funny book/podcast.
6. I’m looking forward to whatever it is that I am on my way to do.
7. My boyfriend just said something really sweet to me on the phone.
8. I have just seen a person I like drive past so I waved and smiled at them.
9. I feel extra cute.
10. I’m singing a fun song in my head.
11. Someone who has just driven past is listening to a humorous song.
12. I have just tripped or bumped into something.
13. I am enjoying a delicious beverage.
14. My manicure is holding up really well this week.
15. A baby just waved at me.
16. I have just seen a rainbow.
17. I read an amusing bumper sticker.
18. I just noticed a particularly pretty flower.
The point of all this is to say that I might be smiling for any number of random little reasons. My smile has nothing to do with anyone who happens to see it, it’s just a visible signal that I am experiencing a little slice of joy in my day.
*More and more I actually DO put a screwface on because I’m actively trying to avoid street harassment. But that’s a whole other post.